we'll provide your vessels with asbestos-free declarations and supporting
documentation through our Non-Asbestos Supplier List. Such documentation
is a requirement for all new-buildings, repairs and conversions on or after
1 July 2012 according to the SOLAS Convention.
We'll update the Non-Asbestos Supplier List throughout each vessel's life cycle, ensuring that your vessels during inspections can always document that the parts covered by the SOLAS Convention are in line with the regulation.
At Metizoft we have all the tools needed to deliver and maintain the required declarations and documentation for our clients. Additionally we offer quality control of suppliers through Green Makers List.
Why should you work with Metizoft?
SOLAS Chapter II-1, Regulation 3-5:
"From 1 January 2011, for all ships, new installation of materials which contain asbestos shall be prohibited."
"In the context of this regulation, "new installation of materials containing asbestos" means any new physical installation on board. Any material purchased prior to 1 January 2011 being kept in the ship's store or in the shipyard for a ship under construction, should not be permitted to be installed after 1 January 2011 as a working part."
SOLAS II-1, Regulation 3-5
1. Verification that "new installation of materials which contain asbestos" under SOLAS II-1/3-5 is not made on ships requires the Recognized Organization to review asbestos-free declarations and supporting documentation for the structure, machinery, electrical installations and equipment covered by the SOLAS Convention, which is to be provided to the Recognized Organization by shipyards, repair yards, and equipment manufacturers taking into account appendix 8 of the 2011 Guidelines for the development of the inventory of hazardous materials (resolution MEPC.197(62)) for:
- new construction (keel laid, or at a similar stage of construction) on or after 1 July 2012;
- conversions (contract date for the conversion or, in the absence of a contract, the date on which the work identifiable with the specific conversion begins) on or after 1 July 2012.
2. The phrase "new installation of materials containing asbestos" in MSC.1/Circ.1379:
- means that material used (i.e. repaired, replaced, maintained or added) as a working part of the ship as per Annex 1 which is installed on or after 1 July 2012 is required to be documented with an asbestos-free declaration. The Recognized Organization will, in consultation with the Company's nominated person responsible to control asbestos-containing material onboard as per the Safety Management System in accordance with MSC/Circ.1045, audit this documentation during annual safety construction and safety equipment surveys; and
- does not preclude the stowage of material which contains asbestos onboard (e.g. spare parts existing on board as of 1 July 2012).
3. The phrase "should not be permitted to be installed after 1 January 2011 as a working part" in MSC.1/Circ.1379 means that replacement, maintenance or addition of materials used for the structure, machinery, electrical installations and equipment covered by the SOLAS Convention which contain asbestos is prohibited.
2018 © Metizoft AS. All Rights Reserved.